[PD] jack connect after startup

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Aug 21 14:03:17 CEST 2017

Hi,

I am trying to make Pd connect to certain jack ports after startup.
While on Linux I could use the jack_connect command line program to do
so I am trying to make do from a bash script after having started Pd.
Stupid me I am thinking of starting and detaching pd with -nogui in the
script and, upon successful startup, call jack_connect. So far I have

 pd -nogui -rt -jack -jackname blah -nojackconnect -open superpatch.pd -send "goto 10" &
 pidpd=$!

 if [ $pidpd -eq 0 ]; then echo "Pd did not start successfully. Exiting script."; exit 1; else
 jack_connect pddel:output0 system:playback_1
 jack_connect pddel:output1 system:playback_2
 fi

But I would like to not detach Pd so that I can kill it and its script
conveniently with command-c. Apart from writing a better shell script
that eventually listens to the keyboard and then kills $pidpd, I wonder
if there is a vanilla way™ to connect to jack ports from within pd after
startup. I have not found something in the list archives so far.

Thanks for all hints! Peter