[PD] jack connect after startup

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 21 15:34:38 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-21 14:03, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to make Pd connect to certain jack ports after startup.
> While on Linux I could use the jack_connect command line program to do
> so I am trying to make do from a bash script after having started Pd.
> Stupid me I am thinking of starting and detaching pd with -nogui in the
> script and, upon successful startup, call jack_connect. So far I have
>
>  pd -nogui -rt -jack -jackname blah -nojackconnect -open superpatch.pd -send "goto 10" &
>  pidpd=$!
>
>  if [ $pidpd -eq 0 ]; then echo "Pd did not start successfully. Exiting script."; exit 1; else
>  jack_connect pddel:output0 system:playback_1
>  jack_connect pddel:output1 system:playback_2
>  fi
>
> But I would like to not detach Pd so that I can kill it and its script
> conveniently with command-c. Apart from writing a better shell script
> that eventually listens to the keyboard and then kills $pidpd, I wonder
> if there is a vanilla way™ to connect to jack ports from within pd after
> startup. I have not found something in the list archives so far.
>
> Thanks for all hints! Peter

well, you could just foreground ("fg") the Pd-process after jack_connect
did its job.

however, i think the proper way is to have a separate process running
that auto-connects Pd, e.g. qjackctl with it's patchbay feature.
there are others around as well (google for jack session management).

i'm *firmly* opposed to bloating the Pd core to add jack session
management to "within Pd".

gmsdr
IOhannes