[PD] purr data duplicate undo

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 04:54:37 CEST 2017

> Hey -
> every now and then using purr data i find that i have inadvertently made duplicate objects/msgs etc> that are directly in front of each other.

> I've finally figured out that this is happening with the following sequence:  cmd +d , cmd+z

I see. It appears the undo history gets generated from the implementation of "Duplicate"-- instantiate
a duplicate object AND THEN displace it by (10, 10)-- rather than the functionality of "Duplicate"--
make a new object displaced by (10, 10).
I went ahead and made an issue for this:https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/issues/370

> in pd vanilla the same combination simply undoes the duplicate command, which is probably the
> expected behavior. But in purr data it doesn't delete the duplicate, but moves it directly in front of the original.

> Not sure if this is a bug, but thought i’d bring it up as a couple of times has led to some time consuming
> trouble shooting, because duplicate objects sitting directly on top of the original can look like they are connected
> to things when they are not.

In the meantime, if you want to check for these obscured objects you can select all and then
choose "Tidy Up" from the "Edit" menu. Any obscured objects should then be re-situated below
the original object. You might also get unwanted repositionings for other parts of the patch, but
you can easily undo those after finding the duplicated objects.
-Jonathan