[PD] why not Purr Data?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 14:01:31 CEST 2017

On Mon, 2017-10-02 at 18:34 +0000, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > If supporting pure vanilla patches to their full extent would be a
> > stated goal of the Pure Data project, I'd have some incentive to
> report
> > stuff, but it seems it isn't.
>
> Supporting Pd Vanilla patches to their fullest extend is a goal of
> Purr Data.

Up to which version? I'm asking about what you'd like to have reported
as bug and what rather not. The 'set' method to [dac~] was implemented
in Pure Data 0.47 (I guess) and is not yet supported in Purr Data.

> What are the crashers you are experiencing?

Re weird looking patches and unusuable GUIs: the flag -legacy pretty
much nails it. Most of the patches I tested look good and work well.
Two issues I encountered regarding the GUI part:

1) In Pure Data in a group of overlapping widgets, the lowest one grabs
the mouse commands (which is probably not a design decision, but it
proved helpful for certain hacks). In Purr Data, the most top one grabs
the mouse, which breaks such patches created in Pure Data. I'm not
proposing to change that behavior, as it probably seems more logical to
most users the way Purr Data does it, I'm simply pointing out
differences.

2) A self-made abstraction (GOP widget) that lets you scroll through a
list of and select an item, doesn't work well in Pure Data. Instead of
showing only the label of the last selected item, all labels stay and
thus end up in a black block after a while. I haven't investigated the
root cause yet.

Re crashes. I do experience some crashes, for instance when loading
certain netpd sessions (which does quite a lot of things including but
not limited to  dynamically creating abstractions). But I haven't
investigated yet why. It may be due to an external I use which comes in
a different version in Purr Data.

I will report back when I more useful data.

Roman