[PD] BUG on midifixes - (was: midifixes testing)

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 19:58:07 CET 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Ingo <ingo at miamiwave.com> wrote:

> 145 is the complete status byte for MIDI channel 2 note on.
>
> 144 should be subtracted but even then it still comes out to channel 2
> according to the MIDI specs and not 1.
> Unfortunately the way Pd handles MIDI channels.
>
> The problem is that Pd counts from 1-16 instead of 0-15. Maybe that's why
> it
> is off by 1. Using 145 instead of 144 for channel 1.
>
> Counting from 1-16 like Pd does it is very annoying as one has to first
> subtract 1 then do [mod 16] and add 1 again for higher input counts.
> Otherwise you cannot assign all channels from the second MIDI In up to the
> first 16  MIDI channels.
> (I guess it's too late to change that in Pd without breaking everything
> ...)

The MIDI spec talks about channels 1-16 but they are numbered in the MIDI
codes as 0-15 (probably because you need 5 bits to encode 1-16 vs 4 bits
for 0-15). A lot of hardware that uses DIP switches or 7-segment digits to
select channels uses 0-based counting, but software and equipment with
decent displays uses 1-16. It seems that the user interface _should_ use
1-16 even though the underlying system uses 0-15.

Martin