[PD] GEM on Raspberry Pi

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Dec 10 23:27:51 CET 2017

On 12/10/2017 11:04 PM, Fede Camara Halac wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> I dont have a very clear log of what i did. But mainly I compiled pd and Gem from git, fetching all dependencies in pd's INSTALL.txt instructions and (I think) Gem's dependencies from either a debian package or looking into old puredata.info entries on Gem's dependencies. I dont remember id there is a Gem package already. There is no need for compiling Pd, but I think you need to compile Gem. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

while i have no experience with the rpi3, i wonder why you did recompile.

Debian (and thus raspbian) provides both puredata and gem.

since the stock Debian images are targeted at a baseline CPU below the
rpi3, you can probably get quite a performance boost if you compile the
packages yourself with the right flags (and I don't know whether
raspbian provides optimized builds for all the packages in Debian, or
just points you to the stock Debian packages mostly).

but you must provide those flags to enable optimization, and from your
description it doesn't sound like you did.

fmard
IOhannes