[PD] How to get off verbose mode?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 19:14:46 CET 2017

In that case,

> - Audio and Midi could do as well, instead of their current "Save all
> settings" buttons

I felt that way too but, as Miller pointed out, what happens when you use different hot pluggable sound devices? You wouldn't necessarily *want* to save a temporary device each time, that plus the GUI freezes for a bit when you save the preferences. I did enable auto saving for this dialog but it was *pretty* annoying to wait every time you close it.

There are definitely some things to fix regarding consistency, but there are still a few reasons why they don't quite match completely.

> On Dec 27, 2017, at 6:36 PM, Antoine Rousseau <antoine at metalu.net> wrote:
>
> IMO the startup flags like this should *not* be saved
>
> of course I agree with https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/153
>  <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/153>
> However I was referring to another "issue", which is about auto-saving behaviour of (only) some dialogs.
>
> Antoine Rousseau
>   http://www.metalu.net <http://metalu.net/> __ http://www.metaluachahuter.com/ <http://www.metaluachahuter.com/compagnies/al1-ant1/>

> IMO the startup flags like this should *not* be saved or be added to the existing settings when saving. They should only act as overrides to the settings. This is true for a number of flags such as -path for which I have a fix on Github: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/153 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/153>
>
>> On Dec 27, 2017, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list-request at lists.iem.at> wrote:
>>
>> From: Antoine Rousseau <antoine at metalu.net <mailto:antoine at metalu.net>>
>> To: Alexandros <adrcki at gmail.com <mailto:adrcki at gmail.com>>
>> Cc: Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com <mailto:danomatika at gmail.com>>, Pd-List <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
>> Subject: Re: [PD] How to get off verbose mode?
>>

>>> Setting the -verbose flag adds it to the startup flags and if you *save*
>>> the settings the flag is saved as well
>>

>> In fact, on Linux at least, you don't even need to *save* the settings:
>> clicking "Apply" or "OK" buttons of Path and Startup dialogs "auto"-saves
>> (all) the settings.
>>
>> to pd-devs:
>> if this is intended, maybe:
>> - Audio and Midi could do as well, instead of their current "Save all
>> settings" buttons
>> - "Preferences/Save all Preferences" menu entry could be removed.
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika <http://twitter.com/danomatika>
> danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>