[PD] declare vs. namespaces - current best practice

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Jan 2 20:28:51 CET 2018

> i find [list-abs/list-splat] to be certainly bad practice.

but why?

just to be sure: we're talking about use in libraries. IMHO it's better to be extra careful and add the namespace when possible.

to answer Lucas' question about why both [cyclone/!-~] and [!-~] is working:

looking at the source code, it turns out they have been doing exactly what I just proposed: adding a creator with the prepended library name.

just to give another real world example:
someone writes a library and wants [wrap] from zexy (with the additional second inlet). I'm loading both iemlib and zexy on startup and for some reason iemlib's [wrap] happens to take precedence, breaking the library. the library author doesn't have a chance to force the zexy version.

I think this a big problem - which can be solved by what the cyclone maintainers did. This is not so much important for zexy and iemlib (as they are widely known and a library authors will always try to avoid name clashes with them) but for future libraries. There are so many Pd libraries out there and name clashes are almost guaranteed without some sort of namespacing.