[PD] PD and multicore

Eran Sachs eransachs at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 12:33:40 CET 2018

Dear PD-brain,

Wondering if I can ask your collective advice on something:

My old laptop finally died after 9 joyful years, and it's time to get a new one.

There are several options within my budget, and they differ in terms of the multicore processors (i5 vs. i7).

Since PD is the main software I use for digital music, I was wondering whether there are any preferences or considerations regarding multiple cores? And in general, what should be the priorities?
I will be working on Windows, and I typically use quite a lot of FFT, even several processes in parallel, for various spectral/cepstral stuff in my work. My main patches use assorted GUIs for controlling all this traffic. Also: ambisonics (tho they're fairly cheap in cpu, no?)

Any thoughts? I am admittedly somewhat out of touch with the current state of technology...

Thanks in advance everyone,
Zax