[PD] Text projection in real time

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 15:22:48 CET 2018

Hi João,

I used [text3d] in GEM for my "Typing Hero" piece at the last PdCon. It was
a piece for 3 networked laptop players to type text read in from a text
file to play Bach 3-part inventions. I found that [text3d] did everything I
needed and worked as expected for all the issues you mention, except that
handling long texts was an issue. Here's a video from that night:

https://youtu.be/IACzW39PnW8

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM, Jack <jack at rybn.org> wrote:

> Hello João,
>
> Le 28/02/2018 à 19:31, João Pais a écrit :
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I was looking on the best way to display some texts which will be
> > produced/improvised in realtime. These will be acessible either as a
> > list, OSC, or on a file.
> >
> > I tried gem's 2dtext and [flatgui/entry], but they both don't work that
> > well, as some or all of the following aren't possible:
>
> You mean [text2d] for the Gem object... In term of performance, I prefer
> to use [text3d]... depending of what you need.
>
> > - centered text
> > - some texts are long, so the paragraphs have to break at the end of a
> word
> > - black background, white font - font and size will be chosen later
> > - fullscreen on a 2nd screen (to be projected)
>
> Everything here is doable with [text2d]/[text3d].
>

> > I imagine the word sliptting and text centering can be calculated in Pd
> > so that Gem displays it correctly, but I'm not sure I'll have the time
> > for it. So trying another solution such as coordinating with Processing
> > or similar would be an option, in case it's easier to implement.
>
> Centering text is by default with [text2d]/[text3d]. You can change this
> with the message "justify".
> To cut a sentence after a word when a certain amount of letter is
> present is not very difficult using [list fromsymbol], [list prepend
> 10], [list prepend string]/[list trim] (for text2d]/[text3d]).
>
> You can even change line spacing with the message "linedist" on recent Gem.
> ++
>
> Jack
>

> > Are there any suggestions on how to tackle this?
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > jmmmp

William Brent
www.williambrent.com

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com