[PD] readsf re-blocked up-sampled

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 5 13:00:06 CET 2018

On 2018-03-05 12:01, Marco Matteo Markidis wrote:
> In my head the point is: is it usefull to use a [readsf~] in a up-sampled
> subpatch to avoid audio dropout? My idea was to up-sampling and re-blocking
> a subpatch with [readsf~] and pass signal using [outlet~] to the main
> canvas. In this way [readsf~] has a larger blocksize read and it is called
> more often than the main canvas.
i don't think i can follow the logic: how would having a larger
blocksize that is called more often reduce audio dropouts?

if you care about reading larger chunks of the audio-file per block, you
can just re-block the subpatch (without upsampling), and then the signal
sent through [outlet~] will have the correct sample rate (and length,
and pitch).

if you want to replace [soundfiler] with something that takes a little
longer to read a soundfile into a table and therefore avoids dropouts
(because it doesn't have to do all the work in a single DSP tick), you
can use an upsampled (and probably reblocked) subpatch to read the
soundfile with [readsf~], and write it into the table *inside* the
re-blocked canvas.
then access the data from outside (without re-sampling) and the data
will be correct.

fgmasdr
IOhannes