[PD] readsf re-blocked up-sampled

Marco Matteo Markidis mm.markidis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:25:16 CET 2018

I think the problem in reading soundfile from hard disk is to access to it,
so reducing the accesses to hard disk can be a good practice to reduce
audio interruption.

the idea to write in a table and then read it outside the up-sampled canvas
sounds great, however it is not clear how to read chunks without every time
close the file descriptor. could be an idea to add a method for read chunks
without close the fd? or there is an alternative way without write code?

best,
marco matteo markidis

> On 2018-03-05 12:01, Marco Matteo Markidis wrote:
> > In my head the point is: is it usefull to use a [readsf~] in a up-sampled
> > subpatch to avoid audio dropout? My idea was to up-sampling and
> re-blocking
> > a subpatch with [readsf~] and pass signal using [outlet~] to the main
> > canvas. In this way [readsf~] has a larger blocksize read and it is
> called
> > more often than the main canvas.
> i don't think i can follow the logic: how would having a larger
> blocksize that is called more often reduce audio dropouts?
>

> if you care about reading larger chunks of the audio-file per block, you
> can just re-block the subpatch (without upsampling), and then the signal
> sent through [outlet~] will have the correct sample rate (and length,
> and pitch).
>
> if you want to replace [soundfiler] with something that takes a little
> longer to read a soundfile into a table and therefore avoids dropouts
> (because it doesn't have to do all the work in a single DSP tick), you
> can use an upsampled (and probably reblocked) subpatch to read the
> soundfile with [readsf~], and write it into the table *inside* the
> re-blocked canvas.
> then access the data from outside (without re-sampling) and the data
> will be correct.
>
> fgmasdr
> IOhannes

Ho cambiato l'indirizzo email in mm.markidis at autistici.org . Se non รจ un
problema, scrivimi a questo nuovo indirizzo email.

I changed my email address in mm.markidis at autistici.org . If it is ok for
you, please write me to this new email address.