[PD] bigger inlet/outlet size in 0.48.1 ...

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:13:48 CET 2018

(Changing back to the right subject line).

Here's a technical peace offering, separate inlet & outlet height defines: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/328 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/328>

In my mind, we could change these defines to canvas variables in the future ala x->gl_iheight, x->g_oheight, etc.

As far as I could tell, on my macOS system, inlets at 2 pixels high render fine without a white fill. I added a color fill for the 3 pixel height, otherwise the default white fill shows through. I think the object sizing might need to be adjusted more based on the height for more variability.

> On Mar 16, 2018, at 7:25 PM, Miller Puckette <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> I didn't mean to suggest that you had pulled a fast one... in fact,
> I didn't see any difference in inlet-outlet sizes on linux and was
> wondering how teh size migth have changed on other OSes.  (In fact, inlet/
> outlet rendering had long been what I consider wrong on MacOS (white
> space in the middle of in/outlets) and from what I recall they're now
> filled in black, the way they are on the other platforms... so as far
> as I know the situation now is much better than before.
>
> But now I'm curious to compare pre-0.47 and 0.47 on the three to see
> how inlet/outlet rendering actually changed, and perhaps to consider
> some way to control that.  What seemed to me particularly interesting is
> the idea of alowing them to become bigger for people who have trouble
> seeing them... that sounds like a usability question that might
> be more important than mere aesthetics.  But certainly the answer wouldn't
> be to revert to the very strange and buggy 0.46 behavior.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>