[PD] distinction Pd lingo: abstraction, subpatch, subwindow

Max abonnements at revolwear.com
Tue Aug 7 13:44:18 CEST 2018

In the Pd documentation the word

abstraction is found 1859 times
subpatch is found 2142 times
sub-patch is found 45 times
subwindow is found 24 times
sub-window is found 1 time (that's in the html document, where it occurs
3 times hyphenated and 1 time not hyphenated)

For reference: Definitions of the terms subpatch and abstraction can be
found in paragraphs 2.7 and 2.7.1 of the documentation.

The terms however are consistently used inconsistent.

in 2.7.2 "Graph-on-parent subpatches" the illustration shows an
abstraction, not a subpatch. The text first talks about an abstraction
and then continues: "When the sub-patch is closed, all controls in it
appear on the object instead; so the number box in the sub-patch in the
example above is the same one as you see in the box. "

Even weirder, there is a definition of the term "abstraction" in the
clone-help.pd which goes as follows: "a patch loaded as an object in
another patch"
but in the same patch the clones abstraction is named "clone-subpatch.pd".

Is there something I am missing here?

m.