[PD] German translation of Pd

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Sat Nov 10 21:38:55 CET 2018

> meaning (= translation)

reading the translations "Schieberegler" or "Arbeitsfläche" doesn't tell a new user anything about the meaning. they might get a vague idea but the full "meaning" of those terms only emerges when they create the corresponding object and interact with it. then they can associate the object with the corresponding word in the menu. which word you use, however, is more or less arbitrary ("Hslider", "Vslider", "Hradio" and "Vradio" aren't even real English words). now wouldn't it be nice if everybody would use the same words for those things which are specific to Pd?

I agree that this approach doesn't work so well with languages which don't have the same writings system (like English and Chinese) but I can't imagine that those German translations in the Put menu are of any use to a German Pd user. Seriously, how is something like "Vertikaler Schieberegler" any better than "Vslider"?

but maybe I should stop complaining now and simply continue with my practice of immediately deleting the "po" folder in my Pd installations :-)

Christof