[PD] loading Camomile plug-ins using vstplugin~

JTG III jordanthomasgibbonsiii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 03:15:17 CET 2019

I was just thinking about this about an hour ago and was literally just
going to try it out right now!
In, uh, unrelated news, my plans for tonight fell through, so, uh, my
schedule is pretty wide open...

On Jan 19, 2019 8:57 PM, "Miller Puckette" <msp at ucsd.edu> wrote:

To Pd list -

In case anyone else thought they could use vstplugin~ (By Hannes, available
from https://git.iem.at/pd/vstplugin) to load Camomile
(https://github.com/pierreguillot/Camomile) -

I don't think it works.  Unless I'm misreading things, once Camomile calls
pd_init(), that call doesn't go to the pd_init that's compiled into
Camomile (via libpd) but instead calls pd_init from the Pd that called
vstplugin~ that called Camomile.  This does nothing, and the next thing
libpd
tries to access in the Pd instance fails.

Here, Pure Data itself (the calling program) is compiled single-thread, and
libpd is compiled multi-thread; this means data structures in the two are
different so they can't call back and forth; anything in libpd had better
refer to its own version of things and not the calling program's.

Perhaps there's a way vstplugin~ could load the VST in such a way as to have
it only make calls back into vstplugin~ but not into Pd?  It's all a bit
confusing to me.  Anyhow, who would ever want to do this?  (Except actually
for complicated reasons I would :)

Miller