[PD] aconnect midi devices with identical client and port numbers

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Tue Feb 5 13:57:46 CET 2019

> welcome to the year 2019.
> Debian 3.1 was released in 2005, support ended in 2008.
> Debian 4.0 was released in 2007, support ended in 2010.
> so i guess you somehow timewarped by a decade.

Sorry, of course that was meant to be Debian 9.5.

> > For example the EWI-USB and the Panda-Audio midiBeam both show up as
> > client 32:0.
>
> now that's a serious problem.
> imu, the client number is supposed to identify the device.
> if two devices share the same number, they cannot be uniquely identified.
> period.
>
> > On my old system (Ubuntu 11.10) both would be listed and I could
> > differentiate them by their name.
>
> with the same client ID?

YES!
Both of them show up when sending aconnect -i to a shell in my old Ubuntu but
not in the current Debian.
Then I could specify the correct one by selcting the name with a route object
and connect each one individually to a different port.
This obviously won't work anymore if the OS doesn't recognize both of them.

> > Does anybody know a workaround for this?
>
> does qjackctl show both devices?
> if so, you could try to use that for the connection management.

Unfortunately I don't have qjackctl installed ...   :-(

> are you using my [aconnect] external, or the `aconnect` cmdline utility?
> (the manpage of the latter says, that you can specify clients by name)

I didn't know about that external. Which library is it in?
So far I had been using shell for finding the client id and connecting it to
Pd.
Maybe your external does a better job with my scenario. It's definitely worth
giving it a try.

Ingo