[PD] aconnect midi devices with identical client and port numbers

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 5 10:34:45 CET 2019

On 05.02.19 09:49, Ingo wrote:
> I have switched just now from the default MIDI on my old system to alsa MIDI
> with my new system Debian 3.5.

welcome to the year 2019.
Debian 3.1 was released in 2005, support ended in 2008.
Debian 4.0 was released in 2007, support ended in 2010.
so i guess you somehow timewarped by a decade.

> For example the EWI-USB and the Panda-Audio midiBeam both show up as client
> 32:0.

now that's a serious problem.
imu, the client number is supposed to identify the device.
if two devices share the same number, they cannot be uniquely
identified. period.

> On my old system (Ubuntu 11.10) both would be listed and I could
> differentiate them by their name.

with the same client ID?

> Does anybody know a workaround for this?

does qjackctl show both devices?
if so, you could try to use that for the connection management.

are you using my [aconnect] external, or the `aconnect` cmdline utility?
(the manpage of the latter says, that you can specify clients by name)

fgamsdr
IOhannes