[PD] chronometer + metronome that syncs multiple Android/iOS devices over network?

enrike altern2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 17:18:41 CET 2019

hi all

We need a chronometer that runs in sync in multiple devices at the same
time. Target platform is android, and if possible iOS as well. We are
thinking also that it would be great to have some sort of metronome
running together with the chronometer (we have trained musicians
together with non trained musicians in the ensemble).

So far we have been using http://chronograph.io/ so far but it is not
100% reliable, we had a few issues last performance (one device was ~1
sec behind the others, and often during rehearsals we had problems with
the start signal not being sent at all).

I am considering the possibility of implementing this functionality in
PD using PDdroidparty and OSC. Because we dont like the tools we have
found online. We found some nice metronomes but the only one that seems
to sync is only iOS. And we do need the chronometer (in fact priority n1
is the chronometer right now). I thought maybe someone can point into
some existing alternative before I try to reinvent the wheel.

One of the biggest issues I foresee is to find an easy and quick way for
the master device to find out the available slaves in the network. I
would not like to have to, one by one, find and then type the IPs of
each single device in the master device, although the master could be a
laptop running PD and that would make it easier to type them...

thanks in advance for any feedback

enrike