[PD] Advice on PD versions for classroom deployment

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat May 25 11:35:36 CEST 2019

As a follow-up:

You and/or IT don't need to run Pd to create the directory, you can just create it outside of Pd. Of the feature is enabled, Pd simply checks if the folder is there. If it's not, Pd asks you via a dialog if you want to create it, in which case you can or simply disable the feature.

This would mean deploying you set could be as simple as:

1. Install Pd
2. Unzip your prepared Pd documents dir into the user's home/Documents directory.

I'm not sure but, alternatively, there might be a way to invoke deken to install libraries from the command line. If not, this is a feature we should look into adding as it would make this process pretty easy while still preserving the library mechanism instead of dumping things inside of "extra."

Addenda:

Relevant discussion into creating this feature is: https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152 <https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/152>

You could also ask Alexandre Torres Porres and Mark Grimm who have used it in the classroom a couple of years now.

> On May 25, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pd vanilla has a newish "Documents directory" feature which can automatically create a "Pd" directory in the user's home/Documents directory. This also creates an "externals" subdirectory which becomes the designated place for deken to install to. Naturally, you can manually copy all externals there as well. Although this feature is annoying* to advanced users, it was a major suggestion by a couple of people on the forum who, like yourself, teach Pd classes. Having taught myself, I also saw the utility of providing a "patch & external home" akin to Processing's sketch directory.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>