[PD] midi input overload?

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Thu Jun 27 16:18:18 CEST 2019

The MIDI bus can transmit a maximum of a little more than 1,000 (3 byte)
events like notes, CCs, polyphonic aftertouch per second.
Channel aftertouch and program changes use 2 intead of 3 bytes. So the max
number of those can go up to about 1,500.

I made myself a counter to check how many MIDI messages are coming in per
second.

Another issue is that not every MIDI interface can handle the full MIDI
bandwith.
If you have one of those cheap chinese no name interfaces they might cause
problems.
Even some good brand interfaces can have problems.

In some cases you can experience compatibility isses between two different
MIDI interfaces.

If you are sending MIDI to a USB interface during booting your computer the
internal buffer of the interface will be filled up and MIDI might not work
either.

Ingo