[PD] 8 channel circle panner, how?

Andrew Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 00:26:29 CEST 2019

Sounds like you want spatialization on a plane through 8 speakers
positioned on a circle?

So you need to convert any cartesian locations to polar coords first. For
an approximate 3D sound effect you really only need a function to create
distance (and Doppler?) effects, and then feed that output, and the angle
into the planner.

The Doppler effects are the trickiest obviously. Last time I checked, real
time pitch shifting as a function of change in distance was best done in
the Fourier domain. Not sure how real time that is these days.

Distance effects are just inverse square of distance (or 1/ d^1.5 according
to some). Then add filters for high and low frequencies. Constant power
panning and variants popular and easy for speakers on a circle.

There's pseudo code in this book from memory: Dodge, Charles; Jerse, Thomas
A. 1997 Computer music : synthesis, composition,
and performance. 2nd ed. New York : Schirmer Books ; London : Prentice
Hall International.

Cheers