[PD] 8 channel circle panner, how?

Patrice Colet colet.patrice at free.fr
Wed Sep 11 15:51:59 CEST 2019

Hello.

Le 11/09/2019 à 00:26, Andrew Lyons a écrit :
> Sounds like you want spatialization on a plane through 8 speakers
> positioned on a circle?
>
> So you need to convert any cartesian locations to polar coords first.
> For an approximate 3D sound effect you really only need a function to
> create distance (and Doppler?) effects, and then feed that output, and
> the angle into the planner.
>
> The Doppler effects are the trickiest obviously. Last time I checked,
> real time pitch shifting as a function of change in distance was best
> done in the Fourier domain. Not sure how real time that is these days.
>
> Distance effects are just inverse square of distance (or 1/ d^1.5
> according to some). Then add filters for high and low frequencies.
> Constant power panning and variants popular and easy for speakers on a
> circle.

  When soundwaves are propagating through a medium, there are several
effects happening, like dispersion and reflexion, and they may travel at
different speeds with same frequency following it's shear modulus (see
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound). That's how ambisonic
tools might be usefull...

Doppler effect is involved when the source of a sound and the listener
are moving relative to each other.