[PD] Patching in Linux - the "sweet spot" ...

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 13 13:46:41 CEST 2019

On 13.09.19 12:55, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> In Linux I think Pd is using the 'unavailable' X cursor in some way when
> you hover on an outlet, and it assumes it will look like a circle such

nah, this is wrong.

Pd (when hovering over an inlet/outlet sets the cursor to "circle"
(literally!).
it does so in tcl/pd-gui.tcl, via

> set ::cursor_editmode_connect "circle"

this is btw the answer to oliver's original question: one easy way to
change the appearance of the mouse-over-iolet cursor is by setting the
"::cursor_editmode_connect" to some other value, e.g.

> set ::cursor_editmode_connect "plus"

(using a gui-plugin; if you just want to play around the
tclprompt-plugin is probably best, as you can then just type the line
above into the prompt and see what it does).

check out the list of available cursors at
[https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl/TkCmd/cursors.htm]

now the problem is that once upon a time, when those available cursors
where defined (and that's not a Tcl/Tk thing, it goes much deeper),
people had a lot of fun defining cursors like "coffee_mug", "sailboat"
and "shuttle", but unfortunately failed to add proper definitions as to
what those should actually be used for (those were the times before
"semantic" was getting big).
later generations - rather than extend the already large set of cursors
with something more semantically defined - would start to abuse the
given cursors and add non-obvious meanings to them.
that's how the "circle"-cursor became that "arrow with a no-entry sign"
in some themes.

find a different cursor theme (as peter suggested), and the cursor might
look saner.

gfamsdr
IOhannes