[PD] Patching in Linux - the "sweet spot" ...

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Sep 13 16:22:05 CEST 2019

Perhaps vanilla may want to embrace the pd-l2ork highlighting of nlets
which grow bigger when hovered over and which in turn makes it easier
for them to be targeted as the cursor then remains longer within their
area...

Best,

Ico

On 9/13/2019 7:46 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 13.09.19 12:55, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> In Linux I think Pd is using the 'unavailable' X cursor in some way when
>> you hover on an outlet, and it assumes it will look like a circle such
> nah, this is wrong.
>
> Pd (when hovering over an inlet/outlet sets the cursor to "circle"
> (literally!).
> it does so in tcl/pd-gui.tcl, via
>
>> set ::cursor_editmode_connect "circle"
> this is btw the answer to oliver's original question: one easy way to
> change the appearance of the mouse-over-iolet cursor is by setting the
> "::cursor_editmode_connect" to some other value, e.g.
>
>> set ::cursor_editmode_connect "plus"
> (using a gui-plugin; if you just want to play around the
> tclprompt-plugin is probably best, as you can then just type the line
> above into the prompt and see what it does).
>
> check out the list of available cursors at
> [https://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl/TkCmd/cursors.htm]
>
> now the problem is that once upon a time, when those available cursors
> where defined (and that's not a Tcl/Tk thing, it goes much deeper),
> people had a lot of fun defining cursors like "coffee_mug", "sailboat"
> and "shuttle", but unfortunately failed to add proper definitions as to
> what those should actually be used for (those were the times before
> "semantic" was getting big).
> later generations - rather than extend the already large set of cursors
> with something more semantically defined - would start to abuse the
> given cursors and add non-obvious meanings to them.
> that's how the "circle"-cursor became that "arrow with a no-entry sign"
> in some themes.
>
> find a different cursor theme (as peter suggested), and the cursor might
> look saner.
>
> gfamsdr
> IOhannes

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
Director, Creativity + Innovation
Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology

Virginia Tech
Creative Technologies in Music
School of Performing Arts – 0141
Blacksburg, VA 24061