[PD] installing pd via apt-get

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 22:08:40 CEST 2019

On Sun, 2019-09-22 at 08:59 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> Am 21. September 2019 11:03:04 MESZ schrieb Roman Haefeli <
> reduzent at gmail.com>:
> >
> > I put this into /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99norecommends:
> >
> > APT::Install-Suggests "0";
>
> that is fine.
>
> > APT::Install-Recommends "0";
> >

> but you shouldn't disable " recommends" by default.

OK.

> doing this will most likely give you a system that lacks all the
> functionality you expect.

Interesting, *you* say that. 'puredata' recommends 'gem'. I certainly
do not expect to get Gem when installing Pure Data. In all cases I
remember, I was rather annoyed by stuff that got installed
unexpectedly.

But you're probably right, in that - for instance - game graphics are
only recommended by the game package, because it technically can run
without the image data, but you most likely want to install it as well
for the expected experience.

So often, though, it appeared to me that 'recommends' somewhat followed
the taste of the maintainer and was not concise.

> it is *really* meant for experts only!!!

Ok.

> you can of course use '--no-install-recommends' on a case-by-case
> basis.

You're right. I happen to notice unwanted 'recommends' most often while
installing them. But I agree with you anyway.

Roman