[PD] installing pd via apt-get

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 23 13:10:44 CEST 2019

On 9/22/19 10:08 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> doing this will most likely give you a system that lacks all the
>> functionality you expect.
> Interesting,*you*  say that. 'puredata' recommends 'gem'. I certainly
> do not expect to get Gem when installing Pure Data. In all cases I
> remember, I was rather annoyed by stuff that got installed
> unexpectedly.

actually the fact that the "puredata" package recommends "gem" predates
my involvement in the Debian package and i just never came around to
demoting it to a mere "suggests" (which is normally not automatically
installed).

if it bothers you, please file a bug against the puredata Debian package.

 > So often, though, it appeared to me that 'recommends' somewhat
 > followed the taste of the maintainer and was not concise.

The Debian policy is pretty clear about what qualifies as a "Recommends"
[1].
However, i think that historically the term was less well defined and
was mostly used as what nowadays would be a "Suggests".

gsadmr
IOhannes

[1]
<https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#binary-dependencies-depends-recommends-suggests-enhances-pre-depends>