[PD] writing to cyclone/coll takes a long time

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sat Nov 30 15:13:31 CET 2019

Jakob Laue wrote:
> Dear list,
> For a university project we are building a melody generator based on markov chains. This includes generating a big matrix of probabilities for playing a certain note. The number of rows in the matrix depends on the markov order and the pitch range that our patch works with. We have a pitch range of 9, hence markov order 3 means writing 9^3 rows = 729.
> We want to work with the fifth order which means writing 9^5 = 59049 rows into the matrix. We use the coll object from the cyclone library to generate our matrix because it has the handy gui for looking at your matrix after you generated it.

for what purpose ?

how do you want to "check" 60000 numbers ?

besides that:

1.) there's the vanilla [text] objects that IMHO can handle this sort of
things way better. the advantage to [coll] is that new entries into the
[text] buffer are updated immediately (i.e. you can see the changes when
the [text] window is open as opposed to [coll] where you have to close
and reopen the content window)

2.) even with the [text] objects, opening the content window with a lot
of numbers like your 60000 WILL take a long time anyway, probably even
crash PD. that's a memory thing that very likely applies to the [coll]
object as well. so if you really need to check a specific part of your
big matrix, you should extract a sniplet from it to another smaller
buffer to do so. the help files will help you ;-)

3.) maybe you should use real matrix optimized objects for your task,
like the "IEMMATRIX" library or probably even GEM buffer objects

best

oliver