[PD] recent Pd versions on older ubuntu studio computers

info at hansroels.be info at hansroels.be
Mon Jan 13 15:13:53 CET 2020

Hi,

Is an installation of a /recent/ version of Pd vanilla (0.49 or 0.50)
possible on an older linux computer? and is this somehow related to the
libc6 versions of the operating systems?

I am trying to install Pd 0.50.2 on two older Ubuntu Studio laptops, one
has Ubuntu 14.04, the other Ubuntu 16.04. When I try to install the deb
package from https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/puredata/  I get
a dependencies error, saying that I need a higher version of libc6.

Is it a solution to try compiling the Pd source code on both machines?
or is the only solution to upgrade the whole Ubuntu Studio version?
(...which isn't possible on one of these machines).

Hans