[PD] recent Pd versions on older ubuntu studio computers

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 13 17:11:59 CET 2020

On 13.01.20 16:40, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 13/01/2020 14:13, info at hansroels.be wrote:
>> Is an installation of a /recent/ version of Pd vanilla (0.49 or 0.50)
>> possible on an older linux computer?
>
> Should be possible.
>
>> I am trying to install Pd 0.50.2 on two older Ubuntu Studio laptops,
>> one has Ubuntu 14.04, the other Ubuntu 16.04.
>
>> When I try to install the deb package from
>> https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/puredata/
>
> Pd is atomised into many tiny debs, you'd need all of them...
>
>> I get a dependencies error, saying that I need a higher version of libc6.
>
> The chances of random binaries from the internet working are smaller
> than with Windows I guess.
>
>> Is it a solution to try compiling the Pd source code on both machines?
>
> Yes I think so.  But it might be awkward with packaged Pd externals
> (you'd need to keep the old pd around and tell the new Pd where the
> externals are).

here's an old answer, slightly polished (and hopefully not introducing
to many bugs).
run each line (apart from the <script>-tags) in your terminal:

<script>
export LANG=C
MAINREPO=https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/
PDVER=0.50.2-1
sudo apt-get install devscripts
mkdir -p build
cd build
dget -u ${MAINREPO}/p/puredata/puredata_${PDVER}.dsc
cd puredata-${PDVER%-*}
mk-build-deps -ir
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
sudo dpkg -i ../*${PDVER}_*.deb
</script>

if there are errors, read them out loud.

gfasdmr
IOhannes