[PD] recent Pd versions on older ubuntu studio computers

info at hansroels.be info at hansroels.be
Mon Jan 13 22:25:16 CET 2020

I tried applying your script, you can see the error further on in this
email.

On 1/13/20 5:11 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 13.01.20 16:40, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 13/01/2020 14:13,info at hansroels.be  wrote:
>>> Is an installation of a /recent/ version of Pd vanilla (0.49 or 0.50)
>>> possible on an older linux computer?
>> Should be possible.
>>
>>> I am trying to install Pd 0.50.2 on two older Ubuntu Studio laptops,
>>> one has Ubuntu 14.04, the other Ubuntu 16.04.
>>> When I try to install the deb package from
>>> https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/puredata/
>> Pd is atomised into many tiny debs, you'd need all of them...
>>
>>> I get a dependencies error, saying that I need a higher version of libc6.
>> The chances of random binaries from the internet working are smaller
>> than with Windows I guess.
>>
>>> Is it a solution to try compiling the Pd source code on both machines?
>> Yes I think so.  But it might be awkward with packaged Pd externals
>> (you'd need to keep the old pd around and tell the new Pd where the
>> externals are).
> here's an old answer, slightly polished (and hopefully not introducing
> to many bugs).
> run each line (apart from the <script>-tags) in your terminal:
>
> <script>
> export LANG=C
> MAINREPO=https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/
> PDVER=0.50.2-1
> sudo apt-get install devscripts
> mkdir -p build
> cd build
> dget -u ${MAINREPO}/p/puredata/puredata_${PDVER}.dsc
> cd puredata-${PDVER%-*}
> mk-build-deps -ir
> dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
dpkg-buildpackage: source package puredata
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 0.50.2-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution unstable
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU)
<umlaeute at debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture i386
  dpkg-source --before-build puredata-0.50.2
dpkg-source: warning: unknown information field 'Rules-Requires-Root' in
input data in general section of control info file
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: debhelper-compat (= 12)
portaudio19-dev libjack-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied;
aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)