[PD] clone vs. dynamic patching

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sat Jan 18 16:46:40 CET 2020

João Pais wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I didn't try clone yet, I always worked with dynamic patching for
> similar issues. For those who are knowledgeable, I would like to ask: is
> there any advantage of clone against dynamic patching when using the
> same circuit, or is it the same?
> This pertains to patches working on both control and signal input/output.

if you are familiar with MAX:

[clone] is nearly the same as [poly~]

one feature badly missing is the possibility ta allocate dynamic "voice"
(or "instance") numbers (i.e. how many instances of an abstraction are
created). i hope miller has plans to implement this in the future.

right now, all you can do is a combination of using [clone] and dynamic
patching if you want to change the number of instances on the fly
(destroy the old clone object and re-create it with new arguments with
PD messages).

i used [clone] on several occasions and find it extremely useful, as you
can directly edit the original source and see the results (as opposed to
MAX).

i would say the best use case is a situation, where you need let's say
10 or more copies of a patch (i.e. for parameter organisation,
oscillator banks etc...). basically it's the same as creating multiple
abstractions where you do the message routing internally with a creation
argument

[abs 1]
[abs 2]
[abs 3]
[abs 4] etc...

so, no - there's no direct ADVANTAGE over dynamic patching but in
general i think it's the better and clearer concept

best

oliver