[PD] font issues/questions, and also discrepancies between operating systems

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 03:38:15 CET 2020

Hi, I've been updating and fixing cyclone/comment and I realized Pd loads
similar but different fonts depending on the operating system. I looked
closely and, for instance, if you have a label font for a iemgui (such as a
slider) with "helvetica", it will look a bit differently in Linux, and it
seems this is because Linux loads a similar but not actually 'helvetica'? I
don't know, I'm confused, I'm asking.

So, it seems the only way to guarantee things will look exactly the same is
if you have 'DejaVu Sans Mono', cause now Pd loads this very same font
indeed for all operating systems, right? For that matter, I updated whole
of cyclone's documentation so it loads 'DejaVu Sans Mono' for all
cyclone/comment objects.

Now a question about loading fonts that concerns cyclone/comment. If I ask
it load a font name that it is not present, it will load some default font
and I just don't really know which one it is. How can I find out? It seems
this 'default' font is also different for each operating system. How can I
find out?

Thanks