[PD] font issues/questions, and also discrepancies between operating systems

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jan 26 20:53:57 CET 2020

Am 26. Jänner 2020 17:24:05 MEZ schrieb Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>:
>Em dom., 26 de jan. de 2020 às 10:59, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
>escreveu:
>
>> Perhaps this can be taken care just by mentioning
>> in the documentation somewhere (if you don't have times/helvetica
>> installed, similar fonts are loaded).
>>

>> It could be added to the existing font/README.txt:
>> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/blob/master/font/README.txt
>>

>yup, seems like a good place to do this.
>
>By the way, it says I can get other fonts by using quotes, such as in
>pd
>-font-face "Zapf Dingbats"
>
>but using quotes doesn't work for me when trying to load a font like
>"Times
>New Roman", it'll only understand "Times" and ignore the rest.

are you sure that you run the command as documented, eg:

    pd -font-face "Times New Roman"

...or are you instead just assuming that adding the text '-font-face "Times New Roman"' (without the single-quotes) to the startup options in the preferences will do the same?

because i'm pretty sure that it won't. thr parser used by the shelland by pd is quoye different in how it handles quoted strings.

there is a PR [741]  that fixes this.

mfg.hft.fsl
IOhannes

[741] https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/741