[PD] Throttling midi message rates

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 12:29:33 CET 2020

PD tries to handle MIDI as fast as it gets it, hence Miller's warning.

First, does Pd lock up on the RPI *without* your patch running? If so, then Pd itself is clogged up by all the messaging on the RPI. If it's your patch, then your message handling can/should be optimized ala Ingo's suggestion. Do you have any GUI objects in the message chain? If so, the fast messaging will also be causing GUI updates which may be slow on the RPI. Another way to check this is to run Pd with -nogui and see if it works without hanging.

> On Feb 21, 2020, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> From: Andrew Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com <mailto:tstexture at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list <pd-list at iem.at <mailto:pd-list at iem.at>>
> Subject: [PD] Throttling midi message rates
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an FCB 1010 MIDI foot pedal controller with 10 switches and two
> pedals. One of the foot pedals is used to control glissando rate. More
> specifically, it is hooked up to a vline~ object in pd. (I originally used
> a line.)
>
> If I change the pedal position too quickly, it locks up PD, and I have to
> kill and restart the software. I have not encountered this before, but I
> remember Miller saying something about "bad things happen" if the MIDI
> input rate is too high in one of his MS171 lectures.
>
> I do not have access to the firmware code on the foot pedal board, so I'm
> hoping there is a way to throttle MIDI data rates in PD. I am running on a
> raspberry pi 3 (buster) in a Zynthian kit.
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

--------
Dan Wilcox