[PD] Changing Send/Receive Names After Instantiation

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Wed Mar 25 21:27:24 CET 2020

Check out the following discussion on GitHub:
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/604

TL;DR: if you unbind a symbol from a receiver while sending to the
symbol, Pd can crash because you modify the bind list while iterating
over it.

Personally, I've been using [iem_receive] in some projects and didn't
run into problems, but only because I avoid the case described above.
Note that the same problem exists with the iemgui objects where you can
set the receive symbol dynamically.

> and why is it not dangerous to change the receiver in the signal domain ?
In the case of [r~], it is [s~] which is bound to a symbol, that's why
you can change the symbol of [r~] but not of [s~]. With [throw~] and
[catch~] it's the other way round.

> would you say, it's "saver" to do dynamic patching if a [receive] has
> to be flexible ? (i.e. create and destroy vanilla [recieve] objects in
> a subpatch when they need to have another address)
Dynamically destroying objects is even more dangerous ;-)

Christof