[PD] Catalina makes Pd take too long to load externals? + Other annoyances.

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:02:45 CEST 2020

Em sex., 29 de mai. de 2020 às 07:35, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Y'all: I fixed this months go, it's just not in the current builds (but
> now in the current master):
>
> https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/838

just let me get it straight, so it's still not working in the build for
0.50-1-test1 but it's gonna be alright when the final release is out? I
trust you have a working build, but I'm just worried that the future
official downloads will be fine.

Em sex., 29 de mai. de 2020 às 09:06, Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>
escreveu:

> I don't really see how Windows or macOS force anyone to upgrade the OS.

My macOS example. I formatted and tested Catalina, cool, went back to
Mojave, which is screwed up as you need to find a torrent download from
pirate bay for that but ok... then I tried to install XCode in Mojave, and
"app store" then tells me I need to upgrade to Catalina in order to
download XCode, cause it can't be downloaded to Mojave.

I need XCode to compile Pd and my externals, I was forced to upgrade to
Catalina... and I cried...

I might find a way to get a torrent from pirate bay maybe that allows me to
install XCode in mojave? I dunno...

> Software improves and new software builds on top on that. That's just how
it works.

It takes a while though, and the current problems with Pd and Catalina are
really bumming me out. Also, I sometimes open Pd Extended to test something
from old days... and Catalina finally put a nail to that coffin.

> Are *we* forcing people to upgrade to the latest Pd version because we
don't backport features and bugfixes to Pd 0.34?

I always "force push" people to install the very latest Pd Vanilla quite
immediately for my patches, tutorials and externals, but I hope this is not
frowned upon in this list :)

cheers