[PD] [semi-OT] binary nvidia drivers on Debian Linux for Gem

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Wed Jun 10 15:07:04 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 10/06/2020 11:18, Peter P. wrote:
> oliver and me have been struggling to get nvidia binary drivers to work
> on his Debian stable laptop. Their intended use is with Gem, hence I
> would like to know if in 2020 the preferred way to install them is with
> Debians nvidia-legacy-390xx-kernel-dkms package
Sure, if that is the correct version supported by the hardware.  I think
on my old laptop I needed the 340xx legacy version (EOL), I can check
later but I think I installed nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver meta-package
that pulled in the dkms package as a dependency, among other things.

> or with some install
> script downloaded from nvidia's webpage?
I prefer the Debian way.  But whatever you do, mixing them is a recipe
for pain, so purge one completely before trying the other.

Claude
--
https://mathr.co.uk