[PD] Installing GEM through Dekken not working

mick mengucci misturapura at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:59:31 CEST 2020

Thanks a lot Johannes.
Ok Ii will take out the Gem directory from the preferences, inf¡ fact it
did not work anyway :)

I am quite sure I installed Pd from terminal using

*sudo apt-get install puredata*

I might be mistaken.

Excuse me if I am bugging you and not reading the ReadMe.
Now it is all fine, have a good day

IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> escreveu no dia sábado, 12/09/2020
à(s) 21:41:

> On 2020-09-12 19:35, mick mengucci wrote:
> > Thank you very much for your attention.
> >
> > *sudo apt-get install gem*
> >

> > Gives me:
> >

> > *gem is already the newest version (1:0.93.3-13).*
>
> cool, so you already had it installed.
>

> > *0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.*
> >

> > So I uninstalled gem with
>
> i don't understand why you did this, but anyhow.
> >

> > it installed 6 new packages, but I cannot open gem objects in pd. I am
>

> you do have to load Gem first.
> "pd -lib Gem"
>
> the gem package also comes with a startup script "pd-gem" that does this
> for you.
>

> > */usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem/*
> >

> > with capital G (why? isn’t its name “gem”?)
>
> no.
> the name is "Gem" (with a capital "G" and the rest lower-case).
>

> > Anyway I added this path to pd preferences and when I create object
>

> the only reason why this works and didn't work before you added the path
> is, that the Pd you are running is not the one installed through apt-get
> (despite of what you claimed in your last mail).
> the Debian provided Pd (and thus the one provided by (X)Ubuntu), will
> find the Gem in it's path without further ado.
>
> > |gemwin| it still gives me lots of errors for related objects.
> >
> > Then I found this other directory (with “gem”, not capital letter)
> >

> > */usr/share/gem/*
> >

> > added this to the preferences>path with no success.
>

> remove this from your preferences.
> the reasons why there's a /usr/share/gem directory are solely related to
> Debians idiosyncrcies with regard to architecture-independent data.
> the data itself is symlinked into /usr/lib/pd/extra/Gem/, so everything
> is *in place*.
>

> > I finally was able to do it running:
> >

> > *pd -lib Gem *
>
> well, yea: that's the command to run (as explained above ;-)).
>
> you could have also just read /usr/share/doc/gem/README.Debian ;-)
>
> gfamdsrt
> IOhannes

MKSTURA.EU
MISTURAPURA.NET <http://WWW.MISTURAPURA.NET>