[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 03:19:08 CET 2021

Hi, I'm working on an abstraction that converts MIDI pitches to note name
symbols, such as "C♯"

At first I was using lame symbols like "#" and "b" for sharp/flat, but I
then tried the unicode symbols and it works nice on my patch. The thing is
I wanna share this abstraction as part of my library and I'm not sure it'll
work everywhere. For reference, here's the sharp unicode character
compart.com/en/unicode/U+266F - in [list fromsymbol], this character gives
me "226 153 175".

In fact I'm even able to use double sharps (𝄪) and double flast (𝄫). I
guess I can use "lame" symbols for these also, like "x" and "bb", but it's
nice if we have support for these symbols.

Now, at this page => https://www.alt-codes.net/music_note_alt_codes.php I
see just a few of the music symbols (far from all). The rest are just empty
squares... and I wonder then if some of you are seeing those squares here
instead of the sharp/flat symbols.

So, I'm on macOS mojave, I never installed fonts here...

Anyway, so, I wonder what's the deal with unicode characters in general,
how do they show up or not, and if and how we can know if Pd will display
them.

thanks