[PD] unicode symbols and Pd

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jan 17 21:40:20 CET 2021

On 1/17/21 7:40 PM, oliver wrote:

>> BTW, I just tried replacing the pound sign [35( with unicode [8983(
>> which is a
>> pound sign for telephones.
>> This works on the current Pd 0.51
>
> how so ?
>
> on my machines (win, debian) ASCII code is still wrapped between 0 and
> 255, like always.

actually no.
ASCII is 0..127 by definition.

otoh, bytes are 8bit numbers, which cover a range of 0..255.

> so sending ASCII 8983 to [list tosymbol] outputs the
> same result as ASCII 23. (I'm on PD 0.51.2)

you need to convert the unicode codepoint to utf8.
for the unicodepoint 8983, the utf-8 sequence is "232 166 131".
feeding this sequence to [list tosymbol] will give you "覃" (which is
think is what you want).

> And yes, I agree it would be great if canvases would allow this
> character to be displayed correctly.

but they do. since ages.

i'm honestly baffled by this discussion.
afaik we have a working unicode implementation in Pd for more than 10 years.
what's the buzz, tell me what's a-happening...

amsdr
IOhannes