[PD] pause writing to delay line / hybrid of array and delay

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 21:56:49 CET 2021

Hi Max, I'm responding to an email from another thread, but I think it
belongs here :)

On 05.03.21 17:45, Max wrote:
> It finally came to me that when I put tabwrite~ into an abstraction I
> can pause the array writing by stopping audio processing in that
> abstraction using switch~. It also can loop by writing into the table
> like into a ringbuffer. The other half of the issue is to also take
> account for the write pointer in the player. I'm using sig~ 1 into
> rpole~ 1 (Thanks José de Abreu) and using that in the deque reader.
> The accompanying dequread4~ uses that write head position as an offset
> to the table (modulo the table size).
>
> it's vanilla
>
> it may have stupid problems / errors, please let me know if you find any.
> There is an error in the Pd console
> no such table ''
> but that doesn't seem to affect the functionality and Pd can't trace
> that error.

So, I've seen your last revision of the patch and I'm not sure I get how it
is useful or why you need it like that. And now I'm really just curious and
interested in the applications of this.

It's nice that it is all vanilla, but it is still very limited as I see it.
You don't have sample accuracy for start writing and stopping or
pause/continue.

And I see that the looping (or ring buffering) isn't perfect either because
of this sample accuracy issue. You're analyzing to see if your signal
counter goes over the array size but the resulting bang comes out after
some samples, so... clicks.

Anyway, this approach of yours is quite similar to what I did here with
objects from cyclone, have you checked it? Doesn't it do the same thing?
Does it fail for your needs somehow?

I just made an update to the ELSE library (version beta 37) and now I can
do the same with objects from ELSE, so I'm attaching it here.

Note I've also added a new [del~] object with a freeze option and also
included that functionality in [ffdelay~], but I guess that's something not
really appropriate for what you want, what do you say?

cheers