[PD] Context menu depending on window focus?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:05:21 CEST 2021

Yes, you must click to focus, then right-click.

The menubar is basically updated each time the window is changed and the bindings are redone for whatever window is focused. Could this be improved? Probably. How much can we improve it? Dunno, it might be limited by whatever the Tk implementation is based on.

If someone wants to experiment with improving this, look in Pd's Tcl where the focus handling is done, I think main in the bindings file.

> On Apr 24, 2021, at 4:23 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 14:26:28 +0200
> From: "hans w. koch" <hansw.koch at gmail.com <mailto:hansw.koch at gmail.com>>
> To: "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com <mailto:peterparker at fastmail.com>>
> Cc: pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Context menu depending on window focus?
>
> incidentally i noticed the same behaviour today, but found it rather funny (macOS 10.14.6)
> probably because i am old and grew up with windows not in focus not doing anything.
>
> since on macOS other apps behave mostly differently (the non focus window accepts control-click), i suspect its a tcl/tk issue.
> but what do i know?
>
> cheers hans
>
>> Am 24.04.2021 um 12:48 schrieb Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com <mailto:peterparker at fastmail.com>>:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> on OS X and Linux the context menu of a patch behaves differentely
>> whether the window is focussed (foreground) or not.
>>
>> Selecting "Help..." for an object in an unfocussed window will open the
>> introduction help patch regardless, selecting "Open" for a subpatch or
>> abstraction will silently fail. I feel making a right click on an
>> unfocussed window should either not open a context menu at all or pull
>> that window into the foreground (focus it) and open the menu with its
>> correct function. Maybe this is an OS/Tk issue and it is known since
>> a long time?
>>
>> thanks/regards,

--------
Dan Wilcox