[PD] 4-point interpolation changes timbre depending on sample rate

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:55:29 CEST 2021

It's sort of disappointing that it has to be so expensive, but you do
what you have to to get the quality and consistency of the sound.  The
question of whether there is an optimal interpolating kernel (which
I'd like to work on) isn't really going to help you in the near term.
It's enough just to find a solution that works well and performs well.

You've got a scalability issue when using multiple instances of delreadsinc~:
Each new instance recalculates the table when created.  The table is
stored in the struct _sigvdsinc so it is also duplicated for each
instance beyond the first.
So, I propose a few other choices:
1.  Calculate the table during setup and add a class method that
returns a pointer to that table, so that a new object doesn't
calculate the table.  It just points at the existing table.  This
option would use memory, even if the object is never used, and would
not free the table under any circumstances (not great, but easy)
2.  Add a class method that returns NULL if the table has not been
created or a pointer to the existing table and a class method to set
the pointer.  The first instance of the object used would run the
initialize_sinc_table function, but each additional instance would
not.  The table hangs around for future use, even if the instances are
deleted.
3.  Add the class methods in 2. plus methods to keep a count of the
number of instances.  Then, when the last instance is deleted, the
table is freed and the pointer re-assigned to NULL.

By my approximation, that table uses about (4*4096*10) 160 kB (or 320
kB in double precision).  I'm not real clear on the differences in
stack, static array allocation, and dynamic allocation in
behavior/performance.  I know it's there, just can't seem to digest it
when I look at it.  You might have had some reasons in mind to
allocate the array the way you did--I'd like to learn more about this

Best,
Chuck