[PD] Pd files on Linux: MIME type and (document) icons

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jul 16 11:38:51 CEST 2021

On 7/16/21 04:23, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> [...]

of course not.
the freedesktop.org.xml covers many well-known files.
but a Pd file is not "well known" to a larger community (unlike e.g. a
PDF file).
therefore it probably should go into a separate file.

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 4:16 AM Kaj Ailomaa <xequential at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> This page discusses how to add new MIME types for freedesktop:
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor/

hmm well. this page is the canonical reference but doesn't look
particularly helpful (unless you start from scratch).

we already have a mime-type file.
it's been included in the Debian package by hans-christof more than 10
years ago (2011-05-25).
anybody who runs Debian, Ubuntu or some other derivative, could check
/usr/share/mime/packages/puredata-gui.xml
those who don't can get it from
<https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/pd/puredata/-/blob/master/debian/puredata-gui.sharedmimeinfo>

sidenote: this file also looks remarkably identitical to what albert has
created for purr-data and what max proposed in his PR.

but yes: by all means include it in the Pd repository.
just do not get distracted when trying to find a place where to install
it to.

```make
install-data-local:
         $(INSTALL_DATA) $(top_srcdir)/linux/application-x-puredata.xml
$(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/mime/packages/puredata.xml
```

gfmdsr
IOhannes