[PD] Fwd: Pd files on Linux: MIME type and (document) icons

Kaj Ailomaa xequential at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 19:33:11 CEST 2021

Sorry, I keep forgetting how to reply to the list properly.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:40 AM IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

> >  From what I can tell, most MIME's are part of a single package in Linux
> > distros.
> > In the case of debian based, the package is called shared-mime-info,
> which
> > includes the file /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml containing
> > mime types.
>
> of course not.
> the freedesktop.org.xml covers many well-known files.
> but a Pd file is not "well known" to a larger community (unlike e.g. a
> PDF file).
> therefore it probably should go into a separate file.

Right, of course. I was silly enough not to check the praxis among other
packages where I can see a multitude of them doing it the same way (by
adding an additional file).

I was thinking about the possibility of there being conflicts, in which
case it would make sense to be as upstream as possible with this particular
issue.

/Kaj