[PD] readsf~ questions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Sep 10 17:18:42 CEST 2021

On 9/10/21 8:37 AM, Simon Iten wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I am finding conflicting (unclear) info on readsf~ behaviour. I want to
> loop a long 8 channel wave file.
> here are my questions:
>
> -once i open the file with a message and after a delay start playback and
> it has finished (rightmost outlet bangs), can i restart playback without
> delay ([t b b] to open and 1 for start) or do I have to set a delay again?
> (will the buffer somehow be ready faster)

that depends on your OS. most likely the file will be cached, so
sequential opens should be fast (but this of course depends on how large
the file actually is).

a 8-channel soundfile with 15minutes data and 16bit samples will have
about 600MB at 44kHz.
that probably should be OK to cache (but then: do you have other largish
datasets that are loaded as well?)

> -if above is not possible, what happens if the open message is sent 15
> minutes before the 1 message to start playback, are there any downsides?
> the fact that I can set a buffer size seems to suggest that that buffer
> will simply be filled and after that it waits for the playback to start.

that is correct.
the delay is justa means to give Pd time to fill the buffer.
once the buffer is filled, Pd will just idle away until it starts depleting.

tg,dsr
IOhannes