[PD] '$0' in messages again, another proposal?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 01:08:09 CET 2021

Em qui., 2 de dez. de 2021 às 19:12, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> On 12/2/21 18:35, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> > Em qui., 2 de dez. de 2021 às 13:19, Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> escreveu:
> >
> >>   although the use cases of $0 inside a message remain relatively
> sparse.
> >>

> > I say it's very common.
>
> that's funny.
> from my perspective (and i don't know anything, really) it *seems* that
> ico is speaking from the POV of someone who has been working with
> msgboxes that expand $0 for some time

I have been too, but in my ELSE library, with my [message] object
introduced in beta19 (now it's at 45), which is basically a message box,
but inside an object box. I've had for more than two years now few years
now and use it all the time. I also designed this cause I saw the need.
Hence, I proposed the inclusion of the object as an alternative here.

> then i tyically use [send $0-foo], where there's no msgbox involved at all.

Messages are good because you can have multiple addresses inside a single
box and still control the order they're sent. In order to use [send] like
that, you need a [trigger], plus the messages, plus the [send] objects. And
if one of the messages you're sending uses "$0", well, then you also need a
[float $0] and "$1" inside the message...

I know Pd doesn't need this if there's no way to do it unless we have, it's
just very very convenient and useful...

> > a table name
>
> then i tyically use [array define $0-foo], where there's no msgbox
> involved at all.

We don't need it also in [table] or even when we create a garray... the
problem is with sending a message with the table name around, such as using
it to change/set the table name of [array size], or every other object that
you can set the array name...

the *only* reason why i ever wanted to use $0 in a msgbox is for
> interacting with [soundfiler].

yup, including [soundfiler]

 but there is more, setting send names with "$0", setting variable names
with "$0", [text] names...

In Data strructures, when we need to traverse a subpatch name to a pointer,
if it's local, again we need it. There are several examples and use cases.

> can't say i miss this much (but ymmv).

I guess I design and work with lots of abstractions, so it's "$0"
everywhere. And even when I'm not doing that, my habit is to always use
"$0" cause I never need patches communicating with each other, and I can
open similar patches that are variant of each other and they're all local...

cheers