[PD] simple dynamic instancing and connection of abstractions

João Pais jmmmpais at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 16:13:52 CET 2021

I'm not an expert, but here some loose pointers (no pun intended) on
this topic which might or might not fit into your concept:

- I use only pd's internal messaging, not the iem libraries for it,
which probably allow for more interesting things.

- have a look at [jmmmp/dacm~] (dynamic) and [jmmmp/dacc~] (not dynamic)
for very simple concepts on connecting to audio output. The problem with
internal messages is that you have to know exactly what is the number/ID
of the object if you want to make connections between objects. I'm not
sure now if the ID always increases in each session, even if objects
created before are deleted, or if the ID adjusts to how many objects are
active - probably the latter.

- I have deleted objects with dynamic messages by simulating mouse
actions (click and drag, then delete). Not very user-friendly.

- when creating objects, I usually put them into a subpatch dedicated
for that, which can be reset with [clear(. But won't be possible in your
case, if you want to delete some objects and keep others.

- instead of using dynamic connections, consider using $x arguments in
your abstractions for send/receive variables instead. Probably easier to
manage.

- an option could be for the patch to have all objects inside it (no
more dynamic patching needed), and make the connections by dynamic
routing instead.

jmmmp