[PD] What does this element do on the Pd-Window?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 1 17:40:31 CET 2022

Am 1. Februar 2022 17:30:46 MEZ schrieb Christof Ressi <info at christofressi.com>:

>>> It switches to "Audio On" if DSP is ticked. Not particularly useful
>>> to be honest.
>>
>> and if you turn it off?
>It says "Audio Off".
>> this label is *not* a status indicator for the DSP engine.
>To me it *seems* it is. But I haven't checked what it actually does.

Afaict it indicates whether Pd is connected to an audio backend.
Normally, Pd will only connect to the backend when you (first) turn on the DSP - that's why it will switch to "on" if you turn DSP on.
Whether Pd will switch of the backend when turning DSP off obviously depends on the backend. On your Windows thus seems to be the case, but with JACK it's left open (and we want it that way ;-)) but that means that the label  says "Audio On" even though DSP is off...

I can see the merit in this information, but the current wording is terrible.

mfg.sfg.jfd
IOhannes